Sydney Conservatorium of Music, Sydney, NSW
In 1915, the NSW Government Architect Seymour Wells built a Conservatorium of Music in a stables building designed by celebrated colonial architect Francis Greenway, introducing a Federation-style Concert Hall to the open courtyard.
In the most recent redevelopment of the Sydney Conservatoriums of Music, Jackson Architecture has designed new facilities for the Conservatorium, and the Conservatorium High School.
The historic site required a sympathetic yet decisive response. Additions from the 1960s were removed and the c1820 Government Stables building was revealed by partially submerging the new campus facilities. The outcome sees a design respectful of the buildings heritage yet delivers a facility that responds to the demands of a modern conservatorium.
The Concert Hall, 270 seat music workshop, twin recital halls, and some 130 practice rooms now sit beneath the landscape parterres of a reconstructed section of the Botanic Gardens. A dramatic three-storey foyer space cuts into the sandstone of the site to link the old and the new facilities.