Essendon Football Club & Australian Paralympic High Performance Training Centre Stage 1
The success of this High Performance Training Centre lies in the spatial planning that facilitates both formal and informal user interaction.
Athlete’s facilities and medical staff are located on the ground floor. Administration, teaching facilities and coaches offices are located on the second floor. A generous atrium with a welcoming staircase connects the levels – its perforated metal red balustrading reflecting the club jumper.
Drawing from its Tullamarine context, the building form appears like a large aeroplane hanger and is arranged to minimise the impact of the prevailing winds that roar across the western planes.
The architecture and structural system are integrated, allowing the metal cladding to be fixed directly. Reduced time and material costs due to not requiring fixing battens increased construction efficiency.
- State of the art gymnasium;
- Large indoor training area;
- Indoor basketball court;
- Altitude training centre;
- Simulation training area;
- 25m training pool with aquatic recovery areas;
- Medical and sports science facilities;
- Club administration and office spaces;
- Two large outdoor training ovals;
- Sports administration for the EFC and Australian; and
- Paralympic Committee.