Melbourne Cricket Ground Great Southern Stand Redevelopment
Melbourne Cricket Club
The Great Southern Stand has a national reputation for being one of the most iconic sports stands in the country, having received several major awards, including the Australian Institute of Architects Sir Zelman Cowen Award for Public Architecture and most recently, in 2020, the Australian Institute of Architects Enduring Architecture Award.
The landmark project includes a four-tiered spectator stand with column free sightlines. In the absence of any available standards, Jackson Architecture developed sightline criteria to give equity to all spectator positions.
Distinct, separate and secure yet connected zones were planned for the general public, AFL members, players and officials, as well as for venue management and food service areas.
Innovative and visionary, the Great Southern Stand pioneered stadium design as we know it today. It was the first stadium in Australia to have booked public seating and timed exit requirements for a capacity of 45,000 seats. Clear view lines from the point of entry through to the field of play were established.
The 2015 refurbishment works included upgrading entry points, toilet facilities, infrastructure services, audio visual systems, wayfinding signage and function rooms, to align with those provided in Northern Stand that was redeveloped in 2006.
In 2022, the Great Southern Stand was renamed the Shane Warne Stand following the death of cricket legend Shane Warne.
- Open and light spaces similar to those provided on the northern side of the stadium;
- Improved stadium entry points at gates 4, 5 and 6;
- New state of the art fit-outs for the existing dining rooms;
- Kitchen upgrades;
- Improved food and beverage facilities (including food courts);
- New and improved toilet facilities;
- Upgrades to infrastructure services, audio visual systems and wayfinding singage;
- Upgraded function rooms (Brunton, Wills and Legends rooms) with enclosed foyers;
- A new 500-seat function room on Level 2; and
- A new sports bar.