Melbourne Cricket Ground – Northern Stand
Melbourne Cricket Club
The redevelopment of the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) Northern Stand involved the replacement of the stadium’s Ponsford Stand.
Following the completion of the Southern Stand, Jackson Architecture undertook a feasibility and masterplan for the remainder of the ground. It determined that the Melbourne Cricket Club (MCC) Members, Ponsford and the Olympic Stands, should be demolished in sequential phases to add a further 55,000 seats.
The original brief from the MCC was to replace each stand over a period of time, one by one. Jackson Architecture proposed a continuous stand replace the existing three stands and that construction be staged to allow for the ongoing operation of the venue.
The redevelopment provides state-of-the-art facilities for patrons and the total capacity of the MCG was increased to 100,000. Restricted viewing seats were eliminated and significant improvements were made to the sightlines.
A design highlight includes a deep cantilevered cable-net roofing structure providing weather protection with a glazed edge to minimise shadowing to the field of play.
The redevelopment of the Northern Stand accommodated the 2006 Commonwealth Games by allowing space for ground work of the 100 metre running track along the north east of the stadium, and through the installation of temporary amenities such as media areas, assembly areas and change rooms.
This project demonstrates Jackson Architecture’s capability to plan, manage and resolve complex stadia design needs.
Demonstrating our visionary thinking, the new Northern Stand has been greatly admired for its hospitality and function rooms overlooking the park and the City of Melbourne.
- Corporate and public food and beverage facilities;
- Public toilets;
- Back of house areas including kitchens and storage areas;
- Extensive MCG administration offices;
- A dedicated MCC entry with atrium;
- 500 seat member’s dining room;
- Long Room and Committee Room;
- Media, corporate sponsors and coaches boxes;
- Six full size indoor cricket practice wickets and large outdoor natural turf cricket practice enclosure;
- A gymnasium and dedicated change rooms of the highest standards designed in conjunction with the Victorian Cricket Association;
- State of the art player, coach and media facilities;
- Discrete dedicated viewing boxes for umpires and cricket teams with external balconies in prime position on the lowest deck and access to the change rooms below.