Windy Hill Sports and Community Precinct
Essendon Football Club
Windy Hill (officially called the Essendon Recreation Reserve) is the former home of the Essendon Football Club.
The site is home to many other sports and community facilities such as the Essendon Cricket Club, Essendon Bowls Club, Essendon Croquet Club, Windy Hill Fitness Centre, Windy Hill Venue and the Essendon District Football League. Windy Hill also sits in close proximity to both the Essendon Primary School and Penleigh and Essendon Grammar, providing enticing possibilities for expanded use of the facility.
Jackson Architecture’s proposed design meets the project vision to create a healthy and safe space, activated by increased community use and an inclusive space, with a diversity of activities promoting community football, fitness, functions and festivals.
The masterplan proposes:
The design solution also celebrates the history of this iconic venue, incorporating storytelling opportunities and components within the urban design response. Furthermore, it carefully works to retain existing trees and draws its conceptual forms, building materials and colours from its context.
- Refurbished locker and change facilities for cricket, AFLW, EDFL and community football teams (junior and senior);
- a Community Centre;
- a running track;
- a community focused café;
- a community playground for children and adults with adult swings and slides that parents, grandparents and children can enjoy together or on their own;
- space for farmers markets, festivals and food trucks;
- lights to allow for evening training and improved safety;
- the refurbishment of the Hird Stand with upgraded events and food and beverage facilities.