Essendon Football Club Next Generation Academy
Essendon Football Club prides itself as a leader in providing support to the community. Its vision is to be one of the most inclusive and respected clubs in Australia. Realising this sees the development of their existing facility at Tullamarine – the Hanger – to include the Next Generation Academy.
The client’s vision was to promote and support the talent of under-represented community groups such as Indigenous and multicultural players. The Next Generation Academy provides dormitory accommodation, training and education facilities. It includes training and change facilities for community groups such as AFLW and VFL. Our process has incorporated consideration of how we can best accommodate and support the diverse community groups that will be welcomed to the multifaceted, modern facility.
A project highlight is the interactive museum space; not only captures the history of the football club but offers an interactive space that engages the public and celebrates the club, Paralympians, Indigenous communities and local groups. It takes the visitor on an educational journey where they can touch, jump and re-enact some of the great achievements of past players and other fun activities.
- A welcoming parkland for community use with picnic tables, a playground, fitness station and seating around the oval;
- A generous glass atrium that heralds the new entry accessed via a welcoming stair;
- Multipurpose training areas and small auditorium spaces for team strategy and tactic talks;
- Nine dorm rooms with ensuites (five accommodating to wheelchair athletes);
- Flexible unisex change rooms, medical rooms, massage and strapping areas;
- Kitchen, study and communal spaces;
- Multipurpose education space featuring a large function room; and
- Consulting suites for medical staff.