National Tennis Centre
Melbourne & Olympic Parks Trust
The National Tennis Centre at Melbourne Park is a high-performance elite training facility for tennis players.
Located between Yarra Park and the famous Melbourne Cricket Ground to the north (another Jackson Architecture project) and AAMI Park to the south, the building exists as a contemporary, transparent pavilion in a parkland setting.
The project’s success has much to do with the way planning and design connects the building and its complex ramp system, to the parkland context, through innovative planting and landscaping. The carpark is cleverly hidden behind lush green walls that create a green plinth from which the elegant building form rises.
- 8 indoor and 13 outdoor tennis courts;
- Extensive player and coaching facilities including player lounge, gymnasium, assessment rooms and flexible lecture spaces / teaching rooms;
- Swimming pool and recovery facilities;
- Offices for coaches and associated administrative staff;
- 1000 space public car park and separate bus parking area;
- New east and west entrances to Hisense Arena;
- A series of new pedestrian links, including a public plaza, walkways, bridges and ramps, to seamlessly connect the new facilities to the existing sports and entertainment venues located in the Melbourne and Olympic Parks precinct.